William's Blog

Monday, December 06, 2004

The Grass is Always Greener

"In the beginning, there was nothing, not even the water." This was the first line that caught my eye, being the first line in the book.
When a person initially opens a book, there has already been a pre-determined opinion of the book- an innate bias towards the book. Therefore, when I first opened a particluar book named Green Grass, Running Water, I was also initially biaed. I did not know what to expect and did not expect much; it resembled a collection of thoughts instead of any type of standard prose.
As with anything that people do, we learn as we go on. Therefore, as the book progressed, I found myself being profoundly challenged. This book exceeded every boundary that I ever thought it would become. My initial bias totally dissapeared.
This book is a fictional story with native american overtones. What makes this book so unique is that the analogies and comparisons bleed into all realms of our society. There are allusions to Christianity. There are issues of culture conflict, and culture division. The book attacks all of our society; it is certainly a satire.
This book has impacted me by bringing to awareness certain overtones that I never noticed before; I began to notice the little things that others different from me would do.
I understand what Thomas King wanted to do when he wrote this book: he wanted it to be controversial. In my opinion, he succeeded beyond any initial biases that people may have had of him and his book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home