Culture clash
Get ready for a sociological analysis. This will resemble an ethnography, in a sense (this could be interesting.)
Today I went with my parents to a birthday party for someone's kid that they knew. The birthday boy was only five, so most of the people were adults. It was quite an interesting experience in the sense that the people there were really different from me. They were Vietnamese. Although I Robot was showing downstairs and there were two blond headed people at the party, there was definitely a aura of distinctiveness that night. For the most part, this was not an American" celebration, but an "Asian" celebration.
At the party, the people were nice. They were quite amused at me, especially, for not knowing the language nor the customs. Although I am Vietnamese, and I do speak it a little, I remain illiterate both in culture and in reading/writing.
The people there were mostly engrossed in their tasks, whether eating, watching the movie, or just talking. The chit chat was mostly in Vietnamese, and the food was definitely Vietnamese. I can't understand the music that is playing in the background. Sometimes I question being raised in a dual culture setting. Apparently, I do not really always appreciate my Vietnamese culture association, especially when I do not even totally understand the language. I remember reading in a newspaper for Korean-Americans once about the concept of "cultural assimilation." The concept explains that the dominant culture will usually override the second culture of persons that are raised in multi-cultural environments. I suppose, then, that it is kind of a good thing that I am engaged in two cultures, even though it may be that I do not always prefer my other heritage.
Today I went with my parents to a birthday party for someone's kid that they knew. The birthday boy was only five, so most of the people were adults. It was quite an interesting experience in the sense that the people there were really different from me. They were Vietnamese. Although I Robot was showing downstairs and there were two blond headed people at the party, there was definitely a aura of distinctiveness that night. For the most part, this was not an American" celebration, but an "Asian" celebration.
At the party, the people were nice. They were quite amused at me, especially, for not knowing the language nor the customs. Although I am Vietnamese, and I do speak it a little, I remain illiterate both in culture and in reading/writing.
The people there were mostly engrossed in their tasks, whether eating, watching the movie, or just talking. The chit chat was mostly in Vietnamese, and the food was definitely Vietnamese. I can't understand the music that is playing in the background. Sometimes I question being raised in a dual culture setting. Apparently, I do not really always appreciate my Vietnamese culture association, especially when I do not even totally understand the language. I remember reading in a newspaper for Korean-Americans once about the concept of "cultural assimilation." The concept explains that the dominant culture will usually override the second culture of persons that are raised in multi-cultural environments. I suppose, then, that it is kind of a good thing that I am engaged in two cultures, even though it may be that I do not always prefer my other heritage.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home