William's Blog

Friday, November 26, 2004

Touched

Today I noticed that bread is very different from rice.

Bread is a squishy thing.
It rises when you push into it.
It is not rough or smooth, but soft.
I put my hand and it cuddles up against my skin.
It is alive and foams back into shape.
I pull it apart
and put some of the fluffy matter into my mouth.

Rice is a harsher reality than the ethereal qualities of bread.
The grains are small, rounded and secluded.
It is smooth on the outside and coarse on the inside.
Rice is very firm and solitary; it is by itself.
Yet rice is not all that lonely.
It travels with many other rice grains.
Together they go into the depths of my mouth,
falling as one and going till the end - true companionship.

Now, what do I choose to eat - the rice or the bread?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home