The revolution in the room upstairs
Today is a day of renewal, or rather, of completion. I come to a refreshing realization that today is the last day before my five day break. I am rejuvenated by this thought. However, I also reflect on the near-completion of the revival of our bathroom. This bathroom has been obliterated and given a chance to start anew. For three days now, this bathroom has lost all distinction of a place of habitat. It is a place to be hunted in. Actually, it is a place to hunt for screwdrivers and ceramic tiles and left over marble chips and grout. There is a fine powder of angel dust over the land, and the half completed tiling in the walls reflect upon the partially finished feeling encountered when entering the zone. Heaps of tools fight for room on the counter, and the heavy equipment takes its place on the new marble floor. Across the hallway is the bedroom, and in the middle is everything but nothing. The hallway acts as a deep divide and creates a battlefront upon which to erect a final stand - the completed reality of the furnished bedroom vs. the desolate setting of the bathroom. However, the thing that creeps into everything is the smell and the powder. The paint leaves a residue on the noses of all and goes hand in hand with the fine angel dust to remind all that the ceiling has been repainted - I look at the ceiling and see the newly fallen snow. As the carpenter backs out into the hallway - a losing struggle to complete the room on time- I stand there and conclude that this is an aftermath - this has been the end of a story, the end of a chapter in the functionality of this room. The war of construction is nearly over.
2 Comments:
William, I really liked this. You did a really good job of painting th epicture. My favorite line was " As the carpenter backs out into the hallway - a losing struggle to complete the room on time..." I could really see a carpenter walking out of the room, trying to finish on time. Really great job!
Ashley:)
By
Ashley, at 11:29 PM
Home remodeling is a tough business. You really captured it well here.
-Dana
By
Dana, at 12:10 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home