The Pencil of Time
As I sit here typing, I realize that time is ticking away. I also realize that I am having trouble thinking of the past. Therefore, I turn to a realm of timelessness. I turn to a concept of expression and documentation. I turn to time itself - and I question what time has written out today.
It starts as a typical day, starting with an early morning drive to school for orchestra rehearsal. Next, I cruise through the school day. I end up at home, watching the guy redo our bathroom, and I watch tv. Now what?
I fly through time and before long, I land at this moment in time. It is 9:05 PM, and I am typing these exact words that appear now. The pencil of time records for all to see, and this blog is a living example of the process. Of course, whoever decides to view this is not viewing the living process of this blog. At this point in so far: 9:09 PM.
I find that I am revising my short blog. It is 9:11 PM already. I must strive on to get my point across: to the pencil of time!
The pencil of time does its work every day. It is continually writing, and it records into existence all events that have happened and will happen. Why is it not a hand of time or a pen of time one might ask? The answers are simple. The hand of time is too sweeping to be of any use. The hand looks at everything as a cumulative whole instead of just one event. We don't pay attention to everything in the world at once. As for pens, pens are not erasable. They are written in ink. A pencil has an eraser. Take a look at this blog. It has been written down, yet revised constantly. It has been written in pencil, not ink.
Perhaps the miracle of writing is that it is not written in pen. Even when writing has been written with pen, writing is still changeable! The hand of time puts this entry at 9:25 PM, and the pencil continues the revising. Oh be done already!
It starts as a typical day, starting with an early morning drive to school for orchestra rehearsal. Next, I cruise through the school day. I end up at home, watching the guy redo our bathroom, and I watch tv. Now what?
I fly through time and before long, I land at this moment in time. It is 9:05 PM, and I am typing these exact words that appear now. The pencil of time records for all to see, and this blog is a living example of the process. Of course, whoever decides to view this is not viewing the living process of this blog. At this point in so far: 9:09 PM.
I find that I am revising my short blog. It is 9:11 PM already. I must strive on to get my point across: to the pencil of time!
The pencil of time does its work every day. It is continually writing, and it records into existence all events that have happened and will happen. Why is it not a hand of time or a pen of time one might ask? The answers are simple. The hand of time is too sweeping to be of any use. The hand looks at everything as a cumulative whole instead of just one event. We don't pay attention to everything in the world at once. As for pens, pens are not erasable. They are written in ink. A pencil has an eraser. Take a look at this blog. It has been written down, yet revised constantly. It has been written in pencil, not ink.
Perhaps the miracle of writing is that it is not written in pen. Even when writing has been written with pen, writing is still changeable! The hand of time puts this entry at 9:25 PM, and the pencil continues the revising. Oh be done already!
2 Comments:
William, i find this essay intruiging. To be abstract i would raise the question: Is time real...or is it just an illusion of mortality? (ok, maybe not...but think about it)
By
Matt, at 11:41 PM
William, you should read Slaughterhouse 5. I think you would like it.
-Dana
By
Dana, at 2:32 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home