William's Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Music is a genre of History

I am sitting here listening to classical music, and I will connect it to a specific quote found on the wall in Ms. Gau's room (economics): "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it. "

What makes music universal? Is it because it transcends time? Or would one say that music is a reflection of a very specific moment in time? Is it a story, a thesis that encompasses all? "Why do we enjoy music when it is just a pattern of repeating sounds?

I think that music, as with other things in life, is specifically a human idea. It is a "liberal art. " Music reflects the lives of humans past and present. It sets trends. It defines the future. Music is a lifeline of human civilization.

How does music underscore the past? Does music tell a story? Is it itself a story? I think the answers are in the music itself. Listen to the classical music ofBrahms. The sorrow and the sweet victory music of "glorious war," the Franco-Prussian war. Listen to the sad themes of the Elgar Cello Concerto. They resemble the resentment of total war inW orld War I.
I think that modern contemporary music is similar to modern fiction, in a sense. Some types of music are of "academic merit." Others are are variations of a genre, and are just existent with the trends of the times.
Still, as in all music, we see the common themes of the period of time it was written in: underlying escapism, sarcasm, prosperity, joy, and a strength/desire to explain or convey the experience of life. What does that make music, then?
Music is an art, a product of ourselves; music is a storyteller.

2 Comments:

  • William, i totally agree, music is a lifeline of civilization. There is so much to music beyond just the sound we hear...good points!

    By Blogger Matt, at 11:38 PM  

  • beautiful insight.

    By Blogger elaine, at 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home